Thursday, August 21, 2008

Prison gym

The things I like about my gym are the things most people would detest. Its not a place with an abundance of things like up to date equipment, cold water, or particularly well maintained facilities. Still it has all of the spartan essentials one needs. Treadmills, weights, and thats it. The building was constructed around 1908 I believe and for the most part the facade it the same. Old signs which look like they must be at least more the fifties adorn the walls completing the sense of the gym that time forgot. I was lifting in the weight the other day and one of the other regulars commented that it was a 'prison gym.' I found this amusing because I too have often felt this way when I was lifting weights. He was not even saying it exactly as a bad thing he was just saying that it had only the essentials. Someday if I become massively wealthy I would like to donate a considerable sum to the Somerville YMCA to help them make renovations and improve their infrastructure. Until then I will continue to enjoy my prison gym.

No comments: