Sunday, May 17, 2009

Always mystify, mislead and suprise the enemy

I was talking on IMs to this girl from Iowa recently when I had what I will call an interesting exchange. We had chatted a little bit before but had never really gone much beyond the standard superficial conversation. So we were chatting and she was telling me about how she was going to school to be a chef and all these normal things. Then I mentioned something about books about how I like to read. Then she asked me if I read the Bible. I said something like no why would I read the Bible. Then I said something like the Bible was interesting from a historical sense to which she replied 'The Bible is history.' It was at that point that I knew I was dealing with some kind of nut or extremist. I tried to steer the coversation away but in the end I could not resist the challenge. I asked her if she believed the earth was created in seven days and she said 'seven billion years doesn't exist' whatever the fuck that means. So in the end I found out she was one of those end timers who believe that rapture is coming and the apocalypse and sinner going to hell and all that fun stuff. I asked her why she believed in all this and she just said it was how she was raised and what she was told. She was clearly just parroting something that had been drilled into her head since youth. Needless to say it was somewhat dissapointing but I had to end the conversation shortly after. It seemed strange to me because she seemed like such a normal realtively cool person beforehand, yet the facade was just that. It was kind of like another incident I had with this girl Shanti who seemed really cool but turned out to have really horrible conservative beleifs also. Although she was also a complete psycho in general but the horrible beleifs did it for me. I think its just certain people who opinions are so far on the other side of the spectrum from each other that normal conversation is impossible.

No comments: