Sunday, March 22, 2009

Every day is horrible to you

I remember a few years back having an argument with my friend Joe about different senses of humor. I was talking about the Blue collar comedy tour and all the 'redneck' comedians that I so strongly detested. Foremost of them was 'Larry the cable guy', the one who looked the most redneck of them all. And I think the most terrifying thing about him is that he likely in reality resembles a large portion of the population in the south. Anyhow I was saying that a large portion of the redneck humor employed really base and obvious jokes. In essence I was saying that it was dumbed down comedy. Basically our argument centered mainly on my contention that there was different senses of humor that appealed to different people. For instance a fart joke or a slapstick routine compared to a good satire or a play on words. One is easy to understand and comprehend. The other is more subtle and crafted more intensely. I think just it seems its really common in a lot of comedies to employ obvious forms of humor and I find it depressing. Word

No comments: