Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Go crazy on you.

It's a dark fear. The reason I dread and avoid family gathering or seeing people who I haven't seen in a long time. That vile question that tormented me frequently hard during my early twenties 'What are you doing these days?' followed up of course, by the obligatory 'Are you going to school?' which would lead to me saying no. I am done. That period of my life is over although I would never say that. And indeed after that they would ask me why or something like that, or just engage me with a blank stare. As if anyone who has had problems in school or isn't attending school is some kind of moron who has no informed opinions on anything. Sorry maybe I don't have a hundred thousands dollars laying around to get a decent education but I could tell you a hell of a lot about Abe Lincoln. Maybe I am not formally schooled but that doesn't mean I can't read about history in my spare time. I feel like the issue of the content of what is being taught is schools is often neglected. George Bernard Shaw described school as a prison and Albert Einstien also struggled. It is tough when you feel like an outsider and alienated from all of your peers, when you feel like you aren't really learning anything. But no one has explored the idea that maybe school, as it is traditionally presented just doesn't appeal to some people. And maybe, just maybe, those people are not in fact total idiots but just for some reason don't enjoy it. Maybe they don't like dealing with all the people, all the crowds. Maybe its the homework. Should we, the people who don't fit in to the educational system as it is presented to us be sent to the worst paying jobs and made to toil at work with no benefits with the risk of being fired at any time? I don't think so. This observer thinks there should be a program or a training in place for precisely that, to take people strengths and inclinations and guide them on that path. Crazier things have happened.

No comments: