Saturday, March 12, 2011

Yes indeed

A few years back on Thanksgiving I was watching a PBS documentary about Charles Shulz the creator of peanuts. I've forgotten the exact quote but he said something like 'When someone says 'I feel like Charlie Brown today.' you know what that means.' I thought that was fascinating. Because godamnit I do know what that means and how that feels. To wake up just feeling alienated and isolated and just plain fucking bummed out and you just don't know why. I remember in the documentary too how they talked about how Shulz himself was a very depressed inward kind of person. And how he pored his heart and soul into that comic strip. And how after he died he wouldn't let anyone else take over for him. And god bless him for it, I say. Because that strip was his work and he felt very personally about it. And he continued to draw it up until his death. And the football the Charlie brown tries to kick every time only to have it taken away by Lucy. How he talked about how he couldn't let him kick that football. That football represents something I think. Although i'm not sure what. That one thing that we are all striving for that somehow gets away from us. That demon we are chasing that always seems to elude us.

No comments: